Location

Edmonton, AB

Client

City of Edmonton

Size

1,162 m2

Value

$6.5 milion

Completion

July 2010

The original Norwood fire hall in north Edmonton began operations in 1911. Ninety-nine years later – and just a few blocks away – the new Fire Rescue Services Norwood Station No. 5 opened its doors to serve the community.

Construction of the two-bay fire station began in 2009 using a traditional design with exposed glulam trusses and wood decking as part of the architectural feature for the apparatus bay ceiling along with a ground concrete floor finish throughout the facility. The station consists of large equipment and apparatus bay, communal kitchen, recreation and exercise rooms, shower facilities and private dorm rooms.

With an eye on environmental sustainability, high performance mechanical and electrical systems and building envelope design combined with environmentally friendly, durable and locally manufactured materials were used. A rainwater recovery system was also designed to recover rainwater from the building’s rooftop to be stored in a large underground cistern. Through effective construction waste management, 94% of the project’s waste was diverted from landfills. This project became LEED Certified by CaGBC in 2015.

The site is in a mature neighborhood and maintaining a good relationship with the community and protecting mature trees was paramount. As part of a Municipal Improvement Agreement and in conjunction with the City of Edmonton, the roads and sidewalks in the adjoining neighborhoods were also reconstructed.

Delivery Method

Stipulated Price

Architect

Rockliff Pierzchajlo Kroman Architects Ltd.

Mechanical

Hemisphere Engineering Inc.

Electrical

Hemisphere Engineering Inc.

Structural

Walters Chambers & Associates Ltd.